Tuesday, September 29, 2009

2nd round of scans

Lots to catch up with, so here goes:

Ok, I've been holding off on this post because I was hoping that it would be a little bit more positive, but it is what it is. I had my 2nd set of scans administered on 9/17. They did the typical CT scan and PET scan, along with a mugascan (heart test) and pulmonary test (lung capacity test). The 2 latter test are taken to make sure my body continues to handle the chemo well. Those 2 came back great! Unfortunately, the PET scan wasn't as positive. The good news: all of the cancer found in my neck and middle of my chest is gone! The bad news: there's a spot just under my right collar bone that continues to show up positive on the PET scan. This is not a new enlarged lymphnode; this has been there since my original diagnosis. Unfortunately, its not reacting to the current chemo treatment. Oncologist isn't sure if its Hodgkins disease or just an area thats coming up active on the scan for another reason. Aside from the cancer, she mentioned it could be an infection, a false positive from the scan, or something else...... Needless to say that when I got this news, I was a bit devastated. Most people (with 2A Hodgkins after 8 rounds of chemo) are typically cancer free, they just need to finish out the final 4 chemo treatments, then on to radiation.

So, where do we go from here you might ask? Well, my oncologist set up an appointment for me to meet with a Thoracic surgeon (which occured last Tuesday 9/22). We scheduled another biopsy which took place just yesterday (Monday 9/28) to have part of that lymphnode removed. I'm recovering at home right now, feeling pretty good, just a sore neck, feels like I just got off the Mean Streak at Cedar Point (that ride's waaaayy too bumpy!). Along with the biopsy, the doctors also did a bronchioscopy (I believe is how its spelled), just to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. From what I've been told, we're all clear there. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to speak with the Thoracic surgeon post-op, but my parents did. He made a cut into the base of my neck (where the neck meets the chest) and navigated his way through my uppper chest to the lymphnode just under my right collar bone. It was tough for him to get a sufficient piece of the node due to all the scar tissue from the dead Hodgkins cells, but he got something. Hopefully its good enough to make a diagnosis. If not, then we gotta do it all over again :(. Next time they'll actually have to make a couple incisions under my right armpit and will then need to collapse a freakin lung to get to the node to have the entire thing removed.

Honestly, I'm not sure where we stand. Obviously I hope that the surgeon got more than enough of the lymphnode to make a diagnosis and I'm praying like crazy that it comes back negative for Hodgkins. However, if it does come back positive, the Oncologist will need to make some changes in my chemo, then head into radiation. Hopefully that does the trick!!

I've been doing great through all of this treatment, part of me actually felt that it was going TOO good, like there had to be a setback somewhere. Well, this is it, and I'm hoping thats all this is, just a minor set back. For those of you who might be praying out there, I'll need them the most in the next couple days. I have an appointment with my Oncologist this Thursday and she should have the results. I'll keep you all posted, thanks for checking in!

Oh yea, and hopefully I get to see most, if not all of you, at the fundraiser this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. keep fighting! send prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Your blog came up on a google search. I am a young cancer patient and the author of Everything Changes: The Insider's Guide to Cancer in Your 20s and 30s. If you ever need anything - just let me know, I'm very well connected to all things young adult cancer.

    Wishing you all the best as you ride the roller coaster of biopsies and second opinions.

    Best,
    Kairol Rosenthal

    ReplyDelete